Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring has Sprung!


            It is unusual to experience Spring around here. Usually we get a week of nice weather, then it just gets hot and very humid. This year, for the first time in a long time, we have had several weeks of comfortable weather with cool breezes and lots of singing birds. It has been overcast for a while, but I don't mind as long as it isn't cold. I heard someone complaining about how she hasn't enjoyed Spring this year. I wasn't sure how to respond since it's the first year Spring has actually been like it is suppose to be. I simply stated that our other option was 95 degree days with 80% humidity. I will take this weather any day. How can you not enjoy the view when you have this to look at:


This is the first Iris to open this year in my flower beds. I always look forward to them every year. When I got home the other afternoon, and saw this beauty had opened it got me thinking. I wonder where Irises came from? A quick internet search and I had my answer.


The iris can be dated as far back as ancient Egypt. It represented eloquence, and was associated with the god Horus. In ancient Greece the iris was associated with the goddess Iris, which is where it gets it's modern day name. It was used for perfumes and medicinal purposes in both Greece and Egypt. It is easy to see why this flower was associated with the gods. Now-a-days the flower is mainly used in gardens and floral arrangements.

No comments: